Thanks for stopping by! Let me take a moment to introduce myself and the key players in my life and (much to their delight) on this blog.
This is me, Michelle.
I tried to find a photo of me without my husband or my kids or one where I wasn’t wearing a hat of some sort but I couldn’t find one.
Makes sense though, because I wear many.
a personal assistant to the other three people in my family
cook purveyor of take-out
a therapist (mostly to myself)
a family planner
and a veteranarian to one very fat and very diabetic cat.
For the past five years, I’ve also worn a hat I never thought I’d be wearing: writer.
I started this blog on a whim in March 2012, and within a year was gathering new reading and writing friends and was honored to be part of a New York Times Best Selling humor anthology. The next year I had another humorous essay in the second book in the series.
In March 2014, a dream I never knew was in my realm of possibility came true and I began writing for Entertainment Weekly — which has been my weekly bible for the past 16 years — where I get to recap and write about my favorite TV shows.
I know. Pretty good gig.
Lesson, kids: Even if you spend 16 years making grilled cheese sandwiches and driving carpools, you just never know where life will take you.
21 (moderately useless) Things To Know About Me:
1. I have never gotten a speeding ticket. Lucky? Maybe. Or maybe just that…
2. I’m a rule follower, which can be a real drag.
3. I hate cilantro and tequila (which means I’m not the person you want to invite to Mexico). I can’t explain the cilantro, but as with most aversions to a specific alcohol there’s a story behind the tequila hatred. Same goes with gin. Use your imagination.
4. I have both a B.A. and a Masters degree in Elementary Education but taught 4th/5th grade for only four years before I had my first daughter.
5. I have an inappropriate crush on Zac Efron. Inappropriate because the kids I once taught are now actually older than he is. But also not because he’s totally legal.
6. I’m deathly — deathly — afraid of snakes.
7. I love banana pancakes, banana bread and banana cream pie but eating plain bananas makes me gag a little.
8. I’m a carb-a-holic and consider a french baguette with garlic butter a fine dinner. Especially if accompanied by a glass of wine.
9. I prefer to run inside on my treadmill rather than outside in the fresh air and sunshine. And by “run” I mean walk.
10. I taught myself to crochet from watching YouTube videos and am hooked. (See what I did there?)
11. One of my favorite candies is Swedish Fish. Which makes the next item kind of a drag.
12. I am terrified of the dentist.
13. I love Diet Pepsi (but hate regular Pepsi) and love regular Coke (but hate Diet Coke).
14. That author photo of me is totally photoshopped.
15. Cooking dinner is my most hated chore. See #8.
16. I nap. More than is normal.
17. The circumference of my head is akin to that of a prize winning watermelon. No lie. It’s enormous.
18. Peonies are my favorite flower but I cannot ever have them — or any fresh flower — in my house because my darling cat will eat them.
19. I have considered chancing the resulting feline liver disease more than once.
20. A glass (or two) of wine a day keeps mama’s grumpies away.
21. “Be Happy in This Moment. This Moment is Your Life” is my favorite quote and I try my best to remember to live it every day.
But the most important thing to know about me is that my family is my world, and I love them fiercely.
That’s my long-suffering and fabulous husband, whom I met my freshman year of college, and our girls, who in this blog are sometimes referred to as “Thing 1” and “Thing 2,” and who, despite the 300 miles that college has put between them, are the best of friends.
We’re a pretty tight group.
And by tight I mean weird.
This blog was started on a whim, as a place to unload all the conversations I had with myself that were cluttering my brain.
It’s a place for me to reflect, to (over)share, to ridicule the celebrity life I’m a long time obsessor over, and to observe.
Eh, who am I kidding, it’s a place for me to do something other than fold laundry and put away groceries.
So that’s me…and the fam…in a nutshell.
It might make a post or two make a little more sense.
It might not.
I’m just always happy that you stopped by.
This +1 button tells Google you liked what you’ve read. Thanks!